Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Zak, Jeff, + Dominic

So I've been playing pots + pans at the National Harbor for four months now. It has been the best job I have ever had. There are two main reasons for this. One is I get to do what I love ... hit random objects and try to get new sounds and rhythms out of these metal or plastic percussion sounding utensils. The other reason I enjoy playing is because of the other guys on the job. I thought I would highlight three of them on this post and why I specifically enjoy their skills and personality.
The first guy I'd like to highlight is Zak. He is pictured here second from the right or third from the left. Zak is a true musician, and man, is he creative! For the restaurant show there were only two guys in the beginning to play the electronic drum controller and Zak is one of those guys. I think he was chosen because of his drumming skills and overall musicianship. Zak still practices a lot. He also spent three weeks studying in Cuba to learn how to play the rhythms indigenous from that country more legit. Zak also does crazy stuff during his solos like put the bucket on his head or stand on one bucket w/ one leg ... pretty cool. Not only is Zak a great musician, but he has a great sense of humor. There have been many times I've been crying because he makes me laugh so hard. I always look forward to playing the show when I know Zak is scheduled.

Next up, we have Jeff.

During the first rehearsals we had, the producer of the show commented about Jeff in the following way (paraphrased w/ my vague memory) "I'm no dummy, I can tell when some one's got hands." I've noticed that Jeff plays w/ a specific style that I've always wanted. Jeff plays around town w/ a variety of musicians and I can tell why he keeps getting hired. His solos are tasteful and he combines fast rhythms w/ exquisite rudimental style. Jeff is also one of those guys who makes me laugh, the only thing is that Jeff and Zak sometimes tease me ... hmmm.

Last but not least, Dominic.

Dominic is one of the youngest guys in the group, but his skills are impressive. He can do a one handed drum roll, flip his sticks like no ones business, play crazy syncopated odd metered rhythms, and come up w/ a cool beat to jam with before I can even figure out where beat 1 is. Dominic is the other guy chosen to do the (Zen Drum) electronic drum controller. I never know what to expect when he does a solo and when each of us are on a ladder, he makes me feel like an old man because of the way he jumps up and down and slides off of it.

So, I do enjoy playing w/ all the guys, and thanks to Wes for getting me the gig in the first place, but I thought I would highlight these three guys. If you can, come check us out some time, the schedule is on the right side of the blog.

No comments: