Monday, April 20, 2009

Sunday @ Ashburn + The Bodhran + Brief Mari Update

This past Sunday I had the privilege to play drum set at the Sovereign Grace Church in Ashburn (called Grace  Community).  My friend Zach Jones is the worship leader there.   Zach and I went to college at the University of Maryland and took a few classes together (conducting and music history).  The thing I love about Zach is his passion for Jesus and life in general.  I remember many times when Zach would encourage me to remember the gospel and how we should be grateful for all that God has given us through Jesus.  Sunday was another one of those times.  
There was something unique about our time of worship.  Normally when I play drum set in a worship setting it can 'feel' awkward because I do not play that often.  But God blessed our time.  All the musicians seemed to gel.  
Speaking of the musicians, yesterday was also unique because there were two other worship leaders in the band who lead two songs each.  The first was Stephen Altrogge who wrote one of the songs we played, called "He is Jesus."  The other worship leader's name is Walt.  He doesn't have his own recording (at least that I'm aware of), but he is a great worship leader and almost as joyful as Zach.
When I first heard we were going to have 3 worship leaders, my first thought was, how come I can't lead a song.  I can do "Amazing Grace" w/ me singing and playing toms along with my electronic hand drum. But after that I began to think how are we going to have smooth transitions with 3 worship leaders.  The answer: humility.  None of these guys (Zach, Stephen, or Walt) wanted to be the center of attention, their priority was to help us see Jesus as great.  I believe they succeeded. 
On another note, I am learning how to play the Bodhran.  I do not particularly like the Bodhran, but the music people in PILGRIM may want to use one.  Since I am the drummer/ percussionist, it seems like I would be the most logical person to play it.  The reason I don't like it is because the technique involves a sweeping motion.  I like to smack drums not sweep them.  But after a lesson on Friday and practicing on Sunday evening (I have a very patient wife), I'm starting to get into it.  There's no guarantee we will use it in the show, but it's been fun learning an instrument from scratch.
Transition time:
My incredible wife is rocking out in school.  She is learning a lot and teaching a lot.  It's very busy for her, but as Proverbs says, in all toil there is profit.
If you read this entire entry, you are probably my Mom.  Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the whole thing and I'm not your mom!
-Lew

Cara said...

That last line made me laugh out loud, Spitz! I know I'm not your mom, but I read it too!

Kelly said...

Hey, I read the whole thing too and I'm not your mom! Ha! I think the bodhran is interesting. I have usually seen it played by Irish musicians. Is it true that it's pronounced "boo-ran" or something like that? Thanks for the way you're serving in the musical. Hope to see you guys on Sunday, woo-hoo!