Thursday, March 4, 2010

Public Education Thursday (3/4/2010)

So today was a day full of public education. I started my day @ Hyattsville Elementary School. That's my normal Thursday routine, but today I did not teach instrumental music. I decided I would go to all seven of the classrooms where I normally pull out students. Our school system is preparing for the standardized tests next week. I wanted to help out, so I cancelled my lessons today.
After being in seven different public school classrooms I went to my Leading Instructional Improvement class at the University of MD, College Park. We had a two hour discussion on the pros and cons of accountability. It was fascinating ... we were talking about how data has helped identify specific areas in need of improvement but also how it seems we are teaching to the test as well.
So that's my day filled with public school education and pontification about the restoration of our proliferation.

No comments: